Sharing the Responsibility!
The objectives of the Colorado Springs Fire Department Wildfire Mitigation Unit are to:
- Create awareness of wildfire risk in the city's wildland-urban interface (WUI)
- Deliver mitigation information that assists homeowners in reducing their risk
- Work in stewardship with neighborhoodA geographic sub-area within the city that contains but is not limited to residential land uses. The extent of a neighborhood is variable and may be defined by tradition, organizational boundaries, period of building and development, or subdivision patterns. Neighborhood boundaries may include such features as major streets or other physical elements. organizations to reduce wildfire risk and increase the standalone survivability of structures.
Create a Defensible Space
Vegetation management and reducing your risk of wildfire go hand in hand. On our vegetation management page, you will find detailed information about how to create a "defensible space" around your home and improve its chances of surviving a wildfire.
- On-site Consultations (719-385-7342)
- Neighborhood Meetings
- Business Education and Outreach
For additional information, please contact the Wildfire Mitigation office at 719-385-7342.
Mitigation Tax Credit
Individuals, estates and trusts may subtract from their federal taxable income certain costs incurred while performing wildfire mitigation measures on their property.