The February 2, 2022 Wildfire Mitigation Committee meeting has been postponed due to weather. We will send out an additional communication when a new date is established.
The City of Colorado Springs has named 12 individuals to the Wildfire Mitigation Advisory Committee following the November passage of Ballot Issue 2D.
This committee will assist the Colorado Springs Fire Department in allocating funding.
The ballot measure allowed the City to retain and spend up to $20M to create a city-wide and regional wildfire mitigation and prevention program to be managed by the Colorado Springs Fire Department.
This advisory committee is by mayoral appointment to provide consultation to the Colorado Springs Fire Department regarding funds for a city-wide and Pikes Peak region wildfire mitigation, prevention, and evacuation planning program and its associated efforts. The advisory committee works in coordination with City of Colorado Springs Mayor John Suthers and Colorado Springs Fire Department’s Fire Chief Randy Royal, Fire Marshal Brett Lacey, and Wildfire Mitigation Program Administrator Ashley Whitworth to pursue and accomplish goals and objectives of the voter-approved program.
The members named to the committee are as follow:
- Tom Barter, Acting FMO, U.S. Forest Service
- Dan Battin, Acting Fire Warden, El Paso County Sheriff’s Office
- Bob Chastain, President & CEO, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- Robert Fisher, Fire Chief, Fort Carson Fire
- John Forsett, Fire Chief, Manitou Springs / Pikes Peak Area Council of Fire Chiefs
- Meggan Herington, community member
- Malcolm Johnson, community member
- Joe Murphy, Forester and Wildland Fire Program Manager, U.S. Air Force Academy
- Dave Root, Forester, Colorado State Forest Service
- Dick Standaert, community member
- Jeremy Taylor, Forest Program Manager, Colorado Springs Utilities
- Dennis Will, Forester, City of Colorado Springs
Councilmembers Dave Donelson and Stephannie Fortune will serve as non-voting Council liaisons.
The first meeting which will take place February 2 at 2 p.m. at 375 Printers Pkwy.