Motorists in the area of Black Forest Road will encounter new traffic patterns throughout the construction zone in the coming days and through March.
- The intersection of Foxtrot Lane and Black Forest Road has been temporarily shifted to the south, allowing construction work in the existing roadway. This configuration is expected to be in place for approximately one month.
- One left-turn lane from eastbound Woodmen Road to northbound Black Forest Road will be closed 9 a.m.-4 p.m. tomorrow and Monday to allow striping work on Black Forest Road.
- A new left-turn lane from southbound Black Forest Road to eastbound Woodmen Road will open Monday. This additional turning capacity will alleviate some congestion on southbound Black Forest Road.
- Vollmer Road will be closed between Black Forest Road and Forest Meadows Avenue beginning 9 a.m. Monday through the end of March for major construction work at the intersection. The closure will allow Mountain View Electric and Colorado Springs Utilities to complete essential work on their respective underground utility infrastructure, followed by reconstruction of that section of roadway by the project team. To keep the intersection open during this work would require several months of changing construction impacts, including temporary closures and frequent one-lane operations.
Vollmer Truck Routes and Detours
During the Vollmer closure, trucks that typically use Vollmer to access Black Forest Road will be required to detour on Vollmer to Cowpoke Road, east to Marksheffel Road, then south to westbound Woodmen Road to return to Black Forest Road. This truck detour is necessary because Vollmer is an approved truck route, but Cowpoke west of Vollmer is not. The truck detour will be clearly marked by signs and trucks will be prohibited from using Cowpoke west to Black Forest Road.
Other Vollmer traffic
- Westbound Vollmer traffic may use Cowpoke Road west to Black Forest Road or east to Marksheffel Road, but are encouraged to use Marksheffel Road when possible to avoid delays at Black Forest Road. Forest Meadows Avenue will also be open east to Cowpoke as another alternate route.
- All eastbound Vollmer Road truck traffic will be detoured south on Black Forest Road, east on Woodmen then north on Marksheffel Road to westbound Cowpoke Road where they can access Vollmer Road.
- Other eastbound Vollmer Road traffic will be detoured north on Black Forest Road to Cowpoke, then east to Vollmer.
The project team appreciates the public’s patience during these construction impacts, and urges you to use caution and watch for crews in the area, and use alternate routes when possible. Short-term impacts like these are allowing the project to progress on schedule despite recent weather setbacks.
The Black Forest Road project is widening the roadway to two lanes in each direction between Woodmen Road and Research Parkway. Funded through the Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) “A” List of projects, work is scheduled to be complete in late 2024. For project information or to sign up to receive construction updates via email, call 800-887-4155 or visit Coloradosprings.gov/BlackForestRd.